Dave Galanin (a.k.a. “Strummindog”) was born and raised in the small town of Sitka, Alaska. His “day job” is an international exhibiting visual artist; categorized as a Pacific NW Coast Silver Carver. In contrast to his indigenous Native Alaskan heritage, Dave is currently living in Gisborne, New Zealand where he has recorded his first CD.
“A Sign of Life” was recorded at Tranquility Base Studio in the foothills of the Raukumara Ranges on the East Cape of the North Island of New Zealand. Tunes on this CD are all original works, no covers, and highlight Dave’s love for experimenting with open tunings, as well as some in standard key.
Basically a self taught musician, Dave has played guitar for almost 40 years. His love of “Delta Blues” style predominates what he has played for the past 8 years. He is influenced by Son House, Charly Patton, Mance Lipscombe, Robert Johnson, Bukka White and all the greats of the past. He has attended blues workshops taught by Louisiana Red, Guy Davis, Corey Harris, & Paul Rishell. It is in the Poverty Bay of New Zealand that “Strummindog” is making a name for himself. Dave has opened for Paul Ubana Jones and Lil’ Ian Goodsman.
“Alaskan Dave Galanin, now Wainui local, blew everyone away with the low down Delta Blues, his deep vocals intertwined magically with his awesome slide guitar, setting a massive standard for the following musicians.”
Darryn CLyne; Blues News (New Zealand)
“Dave’s CD is pure and authentic. It is a true reflection of his great feel and respect for blues in it’s vital stripped down forms.”
Steve Evans; Beltona Guitars(Whangarei, New Zealand)
On “A Sign of Life”, Dave plays a 1929 Triolian National Resonator and uses a Taylor 110 GB for the acoustic tracks.
Recent Entries About Strummin Dog
- Great Review for Strummin Dogs ‘A Sign of Life’
- Poverty Bay Blues Club Celebrates First Birthday
- Coming Soon from HSR to your living room!
- Strummin Dog shares new song
- Strummin Dog in NZed
- Strummin Dogs ‘A Sign of Life’ Now Available on Itunes
- Its Here!! ‘A Sign Of Life’
- Strummin Dog Holds It Down Down Under!
- Happy Birthday Strummin Dog!
- Strummin’ Dog holds it down in New Zealand!
- A Sign of Life
- I Like My Whiskey
- Strummin’ Dog Posts 6 Bootlegged Tracks
- New HomeSkillet Happenings
[singlepic id=2 w=320 h=240 float=]
XML error: EntityRef: expecting ';' at line 13, column 143
- Strummin Dog releases Signify General
- HomeSkillet Fest 2011 General
- Digital Indigenous General
- Mad Rad, Astronomar & Silver Jackson General
- New Years Eve Music & Art snow (Show) General
- Rest in Paradise Eyedea…Michael Larsen General
- HomeSkilletFest july 14th-18th 2010!! General
- Jack Ruby Presents “Over Wires and White Plains” General
- Akronym General
- Happy New Year! Here’s some Free Music :) General